Saturday, January 30, 2010

One Month In


We had our one month anniversary of treatment on Thursday, as we left the hospital after completing Round 3. Our first roommates, the Abrego family (check their website- very cool! Anyone out there want to help us make one like it?), were in the hospital too, for Hailey's penultimate chemotherapy round.
When I met them a month ago and spent some time talking to Hailey's mom, I was unable to speak without tears. I was shellshocked, unmedicated, and suffering waves of overwhelming darkness. She commented how well I looked this time. "Adjusting to the new normal", I responded.
In my darkest hours over the last month I knew I could no longer find strength in myself or in divine providence. I wrote in my journal that I would recognize the light in Millie and build my strength off one smile at a time, day after each new day. She has helped me build back confidence and optimism to a point where if she should slip into discouragement, I will now be ready to lift her as she has lifted me.

7 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you, Laura. Thank you for holding on through the last month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very powerful post my friend thank you for letting us look in on the light you found
    love k

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen to that Laura. Ed.B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you have found this great head space! I completely understand.

    Love ya and thinking of you often - Amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reading your post reminded me of this quote.

    "A child's smile is like the sun, whenever it rises, the world becomes so much brighter."
    -- Michelle C. Ustaszeski

    I found a site with free templates you can use -- http://www.deluxetemplates.net/ If you find one that's close to what you are looking for, I'd be more than happy to help make it look the way you want.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura,
    Always remember when we are in our darkest hour "he" is with us.

    We send our love,
    Lisa, Chris, Livi and Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful girl!!!!!!!!!!!! looking forward to Julia bringing me there someday.

    ReplyDelete