Thursday, January 7, 2010

Back to the hospital... unplanned.

As indicated in the previous post, Millie took a turn for the worse yesterday after three days of relative normalcy (if you call lethargy, nausea and taking in about 1/10th of your usual calories "normal"). Her grumpiness, fatigue, low-grade fever and inability to eat turned to extreme nausea, pain in her mouth and a fever of 102 by morning. RED FLAG. "Call them..." I said. The oncology clinic said to come in so my mother and Laura took Millie to Oakland for an evaluation and I stayed to man the household and take care of Griff.

Millie's blood (or white blood cell...? or platelet...?) count was extremely low (Laura can give you the proper term when she recaps) and they wanted to admit her to the hospital overnight. Now she's getting intravenous nutrition, a new antibiotic (the last one gave her a rash) to prevent any infection, an appetite stimulant, a laxative and a stool softener (she's totally constipated). Hooray! (sarcasm) Next up it'll be a transfusion! Let's hope not. Let's hope she gets it back together by tomorrow or she may have to stay more nights, and Laura and she weren't even prepared so I'll need to run them some of their things after work tomorrow.

They warned us that Day 7 is often when the previously administered chemo's course can be most virulent, but we never expected all of this to come down at once. They say it'll get easier. I don't know - I really hope they adjust her regimen. She's already lost five pounds and can't afford to lose more. All this chemo for an isolated tumor...?!?!? She's supposed to start Round 2, a five-night stint, next Tuesday!!! How can she possibly...?!?!? We're in good hands, I keep telling myself, but I'm beside myself with worry, anger, fear and despair right now. But I'm not in the hospital - they are. Laura sounds catatonic over the phone. Luckily I've got Griffin to keep me from going insane. I wonder how many wacks over the head with a cast iron pan I'll need to self-administer before I can sleep tonight.

One of us will update tomorrow - let's hope it's Laura and they're home safe and sound.

3 comments:

  1. Brian and Laura-- I am just catching up with the blog this morning and am overwhelmed. I am amazed at all of your strength and courage in the face of this thing. Your clarity of purpose, and your innate wisdom as parents shines through. Brian, I completely identify with the "anxiety/fear" you talk about since becoming a parent... I cannot imagine having to face this kind of worse case scenario mired in my own. There are so many lessons here for all of us! I am in tears for your little girl, but so grateful that she has the two of you (and Griffin!) to shepherd her through this process. Thank you for sharing all of this here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Brian and Laura,
    Thank you for keeping us updated on Millie. I can only imagine how hard this is for your whole family. Please know that you ALL are constantly in our prayers.

    Lisa, Chris and the girls

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're all in my thoughts, as always....

    ReplyDelete