Saturday, December 19, 2009

Around Town

As anyone who has been in the shipwreck of grief or turmoil knows, the innocent phrase of "How are you?" comes as a torpedo to dodge or hit head on.

I tried out, this week, the response of "Oh, I am fine, how are you?". Previously, I didn't want to lie- but telling the truth was way to heavy. It actually worked. I went through an entire eye-doctors appointment as a charade. And the normalcy, the agreed-upon expectations of interaction was appreciated by all sides.

This came on the the tail of me being at the Lancome counter of Nieman Marcus in the city- asking if my mascara came in waterproof. "Why?" the attendant asked me. "Do your eyes tend to water?".

And the answer on the tip of my tongue: "Well, you insenstive troglodyte, my 6-year old daughter was just diagnosed with cancer. So, I guess my eyes tend to frigging water a bit".

But instead, "No, never mind, just ring up the lip gloss".

Around town today, my mother-in-law and I took Millie and her dear friend Caroline to the movies to see Princess and the Frog. They were a true dream- so cute together dressed as princesses to view the movie. Caroline is so close to Millie's heart- and she put together with her mom and sister a very sweet "Millie's Dream Bag" of items to take to the hospital. We are so grateful, so blessed, for the beautiful and compassionate friends we have around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment