Friday, October 8, 2010

Slow to Scribe

I am not sure if anyone has noticed, but I have been somewhat hesitant to update this blog with deep and personal feelings over the last month. I wonder if many might think that we've returned to normalcy and such musings are no longer a part of our lives.

Although life has taken a more steady turn for us, with the kids in school daily and no hospital visits, we are still very much in the thick of life with cancer. In reality, the reason I have been hesitant to pour it all out there is the result of nasty comments posted on the blog.

I realized suddenly, with the feeling of wind being knocked out of me, that this blog, our story, is out there for anyone to read. Why someone would think poorly of us, and speak ill of our travails this year is beyond me. I don't want to live in that world- yet that world and its trolls will come spilling through this huge open gate of the internet.

Surely I have been naive, and I am trying to find a good balance in telling our story while keeping ourselves protected.

I will at least give an update today. Millie had her 1-month check up with her oncologist and was found to be suffering no visible lasting effects from the chemo drugs. She was given an excellent report, but the oncologist would not call her "in remission" or any other positive terms of that nature. We have to wait another month for more scans and an MRI to make that call.

I am proud of my whole family as we push on and try for a normal routine after such a turbulent year. Somehow we are managing it- grasping to the hopeful signs and supporting each person in all the activities that fulfill us. The kids are taking piano lessons and going to theater classes at the local playhouse. I have started running again and am training for a half marathon in December. Brian and I are both becoming more involved in our community and finding time for friends and events.

Millie's hair is starting to grow back. She is beautiful. I have been showing her videos on YouTube of Sinead O'Connor- stunningly pretty and with such a powerful voice. Millie looks like a mini Sinead now- her scalp covered in maple colored peach fuzz. No curls yet.

4 comments:

  1. How sad that people have negative comments. This has been a wonderful blog, full of hope, and tears. I am so glad all is going so wonderfully well. I think of little Millie every day and since I am a praying person so I always say a little pray for this darling, brave little girl.
    Please know that there is someone, me, Judi, Laurel Davis' mom, that is grateful for your wonderful blog and personal story. jj

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found your blog to be heartfelt and inspiring. It's shown great courage to share the joys, and sorrows, and worries. I believe it not only gives hope to others, but helps each of us be a little for grateful for the good things we have. -- Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog has been wonderful Laura Bell. Don't stop sharing your journey. It enables those of us who are not trolls to share your joys and your sorrows, your fears and your triumphs, and hopefully help ease the overwhelming-ness of it all. We all love & support you, always.
    -Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot fathom why anyone would consider posting something negative here. I am so sorry to hear that you've been on the receiving end of that sort of thing.

    It has been lovely reading this.

    xo
    --Simone

    ReplyDelete